It's an IM client that's still in its beta stages, but it has already won me over (at least on Windows). I use Pidgin primarily, since I use Ubuntu fairly often (as long as my projects or whatever doesn't require Windows). Anyway, I simply love Digsby for the following:
- Ability to connect to many IM services (actually it doesn't matter to me, cause I mainly use MSN, but it's still a very good thing to have, since I do have friends who are on other services.)
- Ability to connect to Facebook, and other social networking sites, and receive updates! I didn't care much about social networking sites in the past, but since getting into Uni I realised Facebook is one of the easier ways to let me know how my friends are doing. Even then, I found it troublesome to open a browser, log-in, etc. However, with Digsby, it's just there. The updates and all. It's just so seamless!
- Ability to connect to various email services. For example, I currently have mine set up to connect to my Gmail and Yahoo! Mail. From Digsby I can check how many new emails I have, etc. (like Gmail Notifier).
- No way to invite other people to a conversation, in other words, it is currently unable to start a multi-user chat. Of course, people can still invite you into their chat, but you can't invite others. This can be an issue for those who do mass chats often.
- Memory usage is a little high, although this has been hugely improved in the latest version.
- I think the file transfer is a little cranky. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
"This information is stored on our servers and is encrypted in a manner that would prevent anyone, including DOTSYNTAX LLC employees from accessing your passwords."
Of course, the final decision is yours. In addition to Digsby, I also use Pidgin often (on Ubuntu).
2. Avira AntiVir Free
For those of you who refuse to pay for an anti-virus, and do not want to resort to piracy, Avira AntiVir is really good. It has served me well for the past few months =). I frequent the following sites often, so do a check for yourself if you want to:
The free version is already very good. Basically, this program will notify you of any changes made to your system, and ask if you would allow it, etc. This is a very brief description, please check out the website for more information. Also, if you choose to buy the Plus! version (like I did recently), visit billpstudios.blogspot.com for a coupon to receive a $10 discount =).
Taken straight from the site:
- Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows?
- It has many other flavors:
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
- Unlocker is the solution!
Alright, I guess that's about it. Have a good day =)!