YCYC

20080930

Useful Software

Alright, I'm just going to take a break for now, and write about why I use the following software:

1. Digsby
It's an IM client that's still in its beta stages, but it has already won me over (at least on Windows). I use Pidgin primarily, since I use Ubuntu fairly often (as long as my projects or whatever doesn't require Windows). Anyway, I simply love Digsby for the following:

  1. Ability to connect to many IM services (actually it doesn't matter to me, cause I mainly use MSN, but it's still a very good thing to have, since I do have friends who are on other services.)
  2. Ability to connect to Facebook, and other social networking sites, and receive updates! I didn't care much about social networking sites in the past, but since getting into Uni I realised Facebook is one of the easier ways to let me know how my friends are doing. Even then, I found it troublesome to open a browser, log-in, etc. However, with Digsby, it's just there. The updates and all. It's just so seamless!
  3. Ability to connect to various email services. For example, I currently have mine set up to connect to my Gmail and Yahoo! Mail. From Digsby I can check how many new emails I have, etc. (like Gmail Notifier).
Well, there're still some cons with it though, but I trust that they'll be resolved soon.
  1. No way to invite other people to a conversation, in other words, it is currently unable to start a multi-user chat. Of course, people can still invite you into their chat, but you can't invite others. This can be an issue for those who do mass chats often.
  2. Memory usage is a little high, although this has been hugely improved in the latest version.
  3. I think the file transfer is a little cranky. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
Lastly, one point that some people have a problem with... You must have a Digsby account. Now, why is this good, and why is this bad? Basically, with Digsby, you sort of assign all your other accounts to it. So, all you have to do is log into Digsby, and everything else, such as your MSN, Yahoo!, Facebook, etc. will log in automatically. Some people might find this an invasion of their privacy, especially if you use a particular email for professional correspondences. Well, to me, if you're worried, just don't link that particular account. Also, from Digsby:

"This information is stored on our servers and is encrypted in a manner that would prevent anyone, including DOTSYNTAX LLC employees from accessing your passwords."

Of course, the final decision is yours. In addition to Digsby, I also use Pidgin often (on Ubuntu).

2. Avira AntiVir Free
For those of you who refuse to pay for an anti-virus, and do not want to resort to piracy, Avira AntiVir is really good. It has served me well for the past few months =). I frequent the following sites often, so do a check for yourself if you want to:

www.wilderssecurity.com
www.av-comparatives.org

3. WinPatrol
The free version is already very good. Basically, this program will notify you of any changes made to your system, and ask if you would allow it, etc. This is a very brief description, please check out the website for more information. Also, if you choose to buy the Plus! version (like I did recently), visit billpstudios.blogspot.com for a coupon to receive a $10 discount =).

4. Unlocker
Taken straight from the site:

  • Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows?

  • It has many other flavors:

    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
  • Unlocker is the solution!
Ok, enough said =).

Alright, I guess that's about it. Have a good day =)!

No comments: